As the Founding Partner of Trowbridge Law Group LLP, Gene Trowbridge’s law practice concentrates on the syndication of commercial and investment real estate, through debt and equity.
As a former syndicator, who for ten years raised investor capital through the broker-dealer community, he is able to communicate with his clients on both the technical and the practical aspects of state-federal securities laws. A long-time CCIM and CCIM Senior Instructor, now having attained Senior Emeritus status, Gene won numerous awards for his teaching ability. His book It’s a whole New Business!, is really a how-to manual on real estate syndication.
In this episode, we talk about some of the proposed changes to security law, and Gene’s TOP 4 Questions all passive investors should ask their syndicators.
[00:01 – 04:01] Opening Segment
- I talk briefly about great values that await you in this episode
- I welcome our guest, Gene Trowbridge
- Gene talks about his background
- Law career
- Real Estate Investing background
[04:02 – 17:14] Changes the SEC proposed for Security and Syndication laws
- Gene’s thoughts on the regulation changes brought about by the SEC
- Impact of Finder-Referrer Definition changes to passive investors
- Potentials for fraud in the rule changes
- Really understanding and taking the ROI’s into account
[17:13 – 24:37] TOP 4 Questions Passive Investors should ask
- Get educated in real estate
- Gene goes over the 4 Questions every passive investor should ask
[24:38 – 34:22] Closing Segment
- Quick break for our sponsors
- What is the best investment you've ever made other than your education?
- What is the worst investment you ever made?
- Signing up for some audio courses when I wanted to be an accountant
- What is the most important lesson that you've learned in business and investing?
- The value of listening
- Gene talks about one of his biggest mistake in his syndications
- Connect with our guest. See the links below.
“If you’re gonna be a passive investor in real estate, I think you need to go out and get educated in real estate.” - Gene Trowbridge
“Teaching was my best investment other than education. Because when you teach you do get educated. But it also taught me people skills, taught me patience.” - Gene Trowbridge
“Listening is really important. You just don’t know everything, so I learn a lot by listening.” - Gene Trowbridge
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.